As I’ve stated many times in the past, we’re huge fans of the HubSpot marketing automation platform at 30dps. And… full disclosure here… we’ve taken that love for HubSpot to the point of becoming a Certified Agency Partner. One of the reasons we’ve done that is that the system has a ton of powerful tools that are all available from a single interface. When it comes to social media marketing, HubSpot’s Social Monitoring tool is one of our favorites.
Simple Steps to Social Awareness
To participate effectively in social media, you have to stay involved in the conversation. The HubSpot Social Monitoring tool allows you to track what’s important to you in the Twitterverse using what it calls “streams.” Streams are essentially the results of searches the system uses to find conversations that you deem relevant to your company and your marketing efforts.
The Social Monitoring tool can be used to:
- Follow along as contacts (or Twitter lists) talk about topics you are interested in
- Find mentions of words and phrases that are important to you
- Retweet, favorite, and reply to tweets as well as sharing them with your coworkers
- See what your competitors are talking about and how they are being received
Ultimately, being more tuned in to what your target audience is talking about helps you draw more of them to your website as you create content around what they’re interested in.
How to Use Social Monitoring
Getting started is easy:
- Log in to HubSpot.
- Click on Social and then on Monitoring.
- Choose the account you want to interact as.
- Click the + sign to create a new stream and indicate whose tweets you want to monitor.
- Enter the terms you want to listen for.
- Set up notifications.
- Click Create and you’re good to go!
It Pays to Be a Good Listener
One of the great things about all the marketing technology we have at our disposal today is that we no longer have to operate in the dark. Years ago, the best you could do is guess at how you were perceived by your target market. Now, you can get their praise or criticism right from the horse’s mouth, so to speak, and take the appropriate action. HubSpot’s Social Monitoring tool makes being a good listener as easy as seven steps that will take you about two minutes to complete!
How should social monitoring figure into your broader content marketing strategy? We'd love to talk with you about it!