Oh, how time flies! I can’t believe I’m saying that fall has officially arrived, but it has. And before you know it, we’ll be handing out candy, eating turkey, wrapping presents, and ringing in a new year! I suppose as marketers we're especially sensitive to the passage of time, as we’re constantly trying to stay ahead of the curve.
Our friends at the Content Marketing Institute certainly are a forward-looking group. They recently came out with their thoughts on where content marketing is likely to go in 2018. Here is my take on some of their predictions for next year:
- Addictive content will reign. It’s been reported that companies like Apple and Google will be investing huge sums in advancing their content creation capabilities. This is, in part, due to the recognition that content done right can be more than just engaging, it can be addicting. And while they will be creating entertainment-type content to leverage this principle, I think it can be applied equally well to marketing. We should all be asking ourselves: What can we be doing to develop content that people don’t just consume, but crave?
- A unified content strategy will prove to be essential. CMI’s post makes reference to a large company where a content marketing strategy has been implemented and is delivering huge results. Consequently different divisions of the organization are rushing to develop their own material, and this is causing problems. As content marketing continues to drive success in 2018, it’s going to be more important than ever to ensure everyone in a company is singing from the same content hymnal!
- Content marketing budgets will blossom. As more people in the C-suite become familiar with the power of content marketing to attract and engage prospects and turn them into loyal customers, it’s likely that there will be more money available for inbound marketing initiatives next year. This is great, of course, unless you aren’t prepared for it. As the end of 2017 approaches and you are creating your personal holiday wishlist, you should probably be making one for your marketing program as well. That way when Santa drops a big ol’ budget boost in your lap, you’ll know exactly what you want to do with it.
- Content marketing will be finally credited with adding value. The marketing department has come a long way from historically being a cost center within an organization, to now, in the age of content marketing, being a value-add. To an outsider trying to gauge the worth of your company, the presence of a robust inbound strategy and content development program is definitely a bonus.
- Content marketing will flourish in manufacturing companies. CMI didn’t comment on this, but I’m comfortable in saying that content marketing will continue to see accelerating adoption by manufacturers. Why? Well, it’s a market that isn’t fully taking advantage of the strategy yet. And, if our experience with our manufacturing clients is any indicator, an inbound marketing strategy, properly implemented and managed, can help a manufacturer absolutely CLEAN UP in their industry. The companies that these organizations serve are dying for marketing information that is delivered in an interesting, informative, and, dare I say, enjoyable way.
Sharpening Your Forward Focus
Yes, 2018 will be an exciting year for content marketing and the companies that know how to capitalize on it. Will you be ready to do so? The time to start thinking about your strategy for next year is now. Let’s talk about your objectives for the months ahead. Our inbound marketing experts in Colorado Springs, CO, Olympia, WA, and Springfield, MO, are eager to assist you. Give us a call!